Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

 Email  Share  Print

Transfer Guide: Frequently Asked Questions

December 30, 1899


Frequently Asked Questions about Transfer Credit

Do I need to be on active duty to have my military training and experience applied toward transfer credit?

No. A university will evaluate all of your military training and experience for consideration of possible transfer credit whether you are on active duty, inactive, retired, or separated from any branch of service, including the National Guard and Reserves.

How do I find out how much credit I will receive for my military experience?

You should research transfer policies and explore degree requirements before you enroll. These policies are usually available in the current college catalog, which can often be found on the college’s website.

Many colleges will give you an unofficial evaluation of your transfer credits before formal admission. Some colleges and universities will not make an official decision on transfer credit until after you are enrolled and some may even wait until you have completed a minimum number of courses.

How long do ACE credit recommendations last?

ACE military credit recommendations are good for 10 years, unless the course is changed and the service submits it again for a re-review.

Why didn’t I get any credit for my correspondence courses?

Army correspondence courses are not being evaluated by ACE Military Programs at this time. The correspondence courses offered by the Army currently do not meet the criteria of having a firm identification of the student and a rigid control of test conditions. The Marine Corps Institute (MCI) selects and submits courses to be evaluated by ACE Military Programs. If there is no credit recommendation, MCI has not submitted the course for review.

I’ve been working in the same military occupational specialty (MOS) for years and it has current ACE credit recommendations, so why did the college apply those credits to the electives area and not to my major?

Each institution establishes policies on accepting occupational credit recommendations. In some cases, academic institutions will not accept any credit from your ACE occupation credit recommendations. In other cases, the level of the course may be too low. For example, ACE credit recommendations have four categories for the level of credit: vocational certificate, lower-division baccalaureate/associate degree (courses numbered 100-200, freshman and sophomore level), upper-division baccalaureate (courses numbered 300-400, junior and senior level), and graduate (courses numbered 500 and above). If your degree requires a 300-level course and the credit recommendation for the course you completed was for a lower level, those credits cannot be applied to your area of concentration. Lower-level courses often aren’t acceptable because they are basic or introductory in nature.

Why did I not receive credit for my vocational credit recommendations?

Some higher education institutions do not accept vocational credit as a matter of policy. Others may not accept this credit if they do not have equivalent courses at the vocational level.


Frequently Asked Questions about the ACE Review Process

What is the difference between CLEP/DSST examinations and military ACE credit recommendations?

CLEP/DSST exams are college-level equivalency exams. These exams are formal assessments that help college-bound students document and demonstrate their knowledge in specific subject areas. Military ACE credit recommendations are the result of an evaluation process that validates formal military training and occupation experiences.

Who decides which courses should be evaluated?

Each service is represented by a main point of contact (POC), who is designated by the Chief for Voluntary Education to work with ACE Military Programs. This POC is required to submit a proposed schedule of installations/schoolhouses to visit, as well as a list of occupations to review each year. It is the joint decision of the POC and the schoolhouse representative to determine what will be submitted for review by ACE Military Programs. Individual service members cannot submit a course to ACE or request that an individual course or occupation be evaluated. This request must come from the designated POC or schoolhouse representative.

What does it mean when the credit recommendation states, “Credit will be granted based on an individual assessment”?

If a college or university wants to award credit, it has the option of providing the student with a portfolio assessment or any other experiential learning options that are open to all students to earn academic credit for related work experience.

Why don’t I get the same credit for Version 2 as recommended for Version 1?

Each version of a credit recommendation is based on a separate evaluation. If the learning outcomes or curriculum have changed, it is likely that the ACE credit recommendations have changed as well. Let’s say you take a course for 18 weeks in 2010 and the same course offered in 2013 has been reduced to only 12 weeks. The shortened course will probably have a change in learning outcomes and curriculum covered, which will change the ACE credit recommendations.


Still Have Questions?

For answers to questions about ACE's Military Guide, view our Military Guide Frequently Asked Questions.

For answers to questions about the Joint Services Transcript, go to the JST FAQ page.

Other ACE News


 Transfer Guide


 Related Content