In June 2008, just before the passage of the historic Post-9/11 GI Bill, hundreds of college and university representatives joined student veterans to discuss challenges and opportunities facing veterans in higher education.
ACE, through its Center for Lifelong Learning, held a first-of-its-kind summit for college and university presidents at Georgetown University. "Serving Those Who Serve: Higher Education and America's Veterans " allowed higher education leaders to engage in candid conversation about issues America's veterans face as they resume their education following wartime service.
Highlights include keynote addresses by U.S. Senators Chuck Hagel (R-NE) and Daniel Inouye (D-HI), as well as presentations from Stephen Weber, president of San Diego State University; James McCormick, chancellor of Minnesota State Colleges and Universities; and Robert Shelton, president of University of Arizona, among others.
ACE is grateful to Georgetown University for hosting the summit.
Summit Presentations and Handouts:
- Cliff Adelman, Senior Associate, Institute for Higher Education Policy, Presentation (PDF)
- Anthony Allman, Vice President, Student Veterans of America
- Brother Rick Curry, S.J., Founder and Artistic Director, National Theatre Workshop of the Handicapped, Handout (PDF)
- Steven Frantz, System Director, Division of Student Affairs, Minnesota State Colleges and Universities, Presentation (PDF)
- Deborah Frett, President and CEO, Business and Professional Women/USA, Handout (PDF)
- James M. Haynie, Assistant Professor, Department of Entrepreneurship and Emerging Enterprises, Syracuse University, Presentation (PDF)
- John Schupp, Director, Supportive Education for the Returning Veteran, Cleveland State University, Presentation (PDF)
- Robert Shelton, President, University of Arizona, Presentation (PDF)
- Kathy Snead, President, Servicemembers Opportunity College, Presentation (PDF)
- Stephen Weber, President, San Diego State University, Presentation (PDF)
- Karen White, Director, Operation Education, University of Idaho, Presentation (PDF)
- Keith Wilson, Director, Education Office, Department of Veterans Affairs, Presentation (PDF)