In 2010, ACE, with the generous support of The Kresge Foundation, held a national conversation about how higher education can contribute to the successful reintegration of returning veterans. The event, the Veteran Success Jam, was a three-day online virtual collaboration that brought together thousands of veterans and their families, active service members, campus leaders, nonprofit organizations, and government agencies from around the country.
The Veteran Success Jam addressed critical issues facing today's veterans such as:
- What makes an academic institution truly veteran friendly
- Awarding academic credit for military training and occupations
- The new GI Bill and other education benefits
- How to support veterans and service members navigating their way to college
- How colleges, universities, and employers can support veterans transitioning to their next career
- Physical and psychological health challenges and how to better understand and support veterans facing these challenges and
- Challenges and success stories of friends and families supporting and encouraging veterans.
The summary of the Veteran Success Jam, Ensuring Success for Returning Veterans, includes key insights, overviews of each of the forum discussions, participation metrics, and a list of web resources posted by participants in the Jam.