Please continue to check this page for the announcement of the next workshop and/or send an email to EmergingLeaders@acenet.edu to be notified when information regarding the next workshop becomes available.
The combination of a 2-day, face-to-face workshop, webinar series, and Blackboard-based resources focuses on the chair not only as a unit leader but also as an academic leader in service to the institution and its mission.
- ACE Members: $950
- Non-ACE Members: $1200
Team discounts are available for multiple registrations from the same institution. After the first participant registers at full price, each additional registrant from the same institution qualifies for a $50 discount.
Description and Components
In addition to exploring best practices in leading departments in times of change, the Academy seeks to provide ongoing support and to foster collegial exchange over the course of the year following the face-to-face meeting. Academy participants have access to the following:
- Interactive Workshop: The 2-day workshop integrates case studies, table-top discussions, problem-solving exercises, role play exercises, and simulations on key leadership issues, department success, and contribution to the larger mission of the institution.
- Online Resources: A Blackboard-based resource site offering materials to maximize the benefit of the 2-day workshop. Access to the Bb site and to the webinar series can be extended beyond the initial year by subscription.
- Webinar Series: A series of 5 webinars offered at intervals throughout the year to balance cutting-edge higher education issues with topics of particular relevance to chairs. Webinars will be archived on the Blackboard resource site and available to Academy participants throughout the year.
7:30 a.m. Registration and sign-in open
8 a.m. Workshop begins
5:30 p.m. First day’s programming ends
7:30 a.m. Regathering
8 a.m. Second day programming begins
4:00 p.m. Workshop ends
- Welcome and Setting the Stage
- What Does a Department Chair Do?
- Small Group Discussions: Department Chairs as Unit Leaders
- The New Postsecondary Landscape
- Budgeting and Financial Management for Department Chairs
- Critical Role of Chairs in Advancing the Academic Quality and Mission of the Institution
- Fostering Faculty Career Satisfaction: Work Place Flexibility
- Business Strategies That Can Help Chairs Lead and Departments Gain Perspective
- Small Group Discussions: Department Chairs as Institutional Citizens Advancing Institutional Goals
- Beyond Classroom Borders: Engaging in Online Learning Development
- Innovation for the Future
- Wrap Up: Leadership Development and Next Leadership Steps for Chairs
Who Should Attend
- Department chairs
- Division heads
- Program directors
- Unit leaders