The ACE Leadership Academy for Department Chairs is a 2-day workshop that prepares department chairs for their roles as academic leaders in their programs and institutional leaders contributing to the larger mission of their colleges or universities. Under the guidance of experienced college and university leaders, participants explore best practices for leading departments in times of change. The format includes case studies, tabletop discussions, simulations on key leadership issues, and peer-to-peer sharing about achieving departmental success. The Leadership Academy is conducted 4 times during the year: January, March, July, and October.
- January 11-12, 2017 - Hyatt Regency Mission Bay Spa & Marina in San Diego, CA (Registration closed January 6, 2017) | Click here for program details.
- March 1-2, 2017 - Renaissance Dallas Hotel in Dallas, TX (Registration closes February 10, 2017) \ Click here for program details.
- July 2017 - Washington, DC
- October 2017 - Midwest
If you would like to be informed when registration opens, or would like more information on the program, please email ACELeadership@acenet.edu.
Registration includes breakfast, lunch, and materials. Participants are responsible for their hotel and travel expenses. Discounted hotel rates are available for attendees registered for workshop.
Team discounts are available for multiple registrations from the same institution. After the first participant registers at full price, each additional registrant from the same institution qualifies for a $50 discount. To receive the discount, contact Connie Banks at email@example.com to arrange payment at the discounted rate.
7:30 a.m. Registration and sign-in open
5 p.m. First day’s programming ends
7:30 a.m. Re-gathering
4:30 p.m. Workshop ends
- Welcome and Setting the Stage
- What Does a Department Chair Do?
- Budgeting and Financial Management
- Department Chair Leadership in an Institutional Governance Structure
- Conflict Management
- Critical Role of Chairs in Advancing the Academic Quality and Mission of the Institution
- Diversity and Leadership
- Innovation for the Future
Who Should Attend
- Department chairs
- Division heads
- Program directors
- Unit leaders