Registration for our next workshop in Chicago, IL on October 28-29, 2013 at the Eaglewood Resort & Conference Center is now open! Visit our events page to register.
Registraion for our workshop in Miami, FL on January 9-10, 2014 is not yet open.
The combination of a 2-day, face-to-face workshop, webinar series, and Blackboard-based resources focuses on the chair not only as a unit leader but also as an academic leader in service to the institution and its mission.
- ACE Members: $950
- Non-ACE Members: $1200
Team discounts are available for multiple registrations from the same institution. After the first participant registers at full price, each additional registrant from the same institution qualifies for a $50 discount.
Description and Components
In addition to exploring best practices in leading departments in times of change, the Academy seeks to provide ongoing support and to foster collegial exchange among participants over the course of the year following the face-to-face meeting.
- Interactive Workshop: The 2-day workshop integrates case studies, table-top discussions, problem-solving exercises, role play exercises, and simulations on key leadership issues, department success, and contribution to the larger mission of the institution. Learn more about the topics and speakers.
- Online Resources: A Blackboard-based resource site offers materials to maximize the benefit of the 2-day workshop, and makes a wealth of resources available on an ongoing basis for a year. Access to the Bb site and to the webinar series can be extended beyond the initial year by subscription.
- Webinar Series: A series of 5 webinars offered at intervals throughout the year will balance cutting-edge higher education issues with topics of particular relevance to chairs. Webinars will be archived on the Blackboard resource site and available to Academy participants throughout the year.
7:30 a.m. Registration and sign-in open
8:00 a.m. Workshop begins
5:30 p.m. First day’s programming ends
7:30 a.m. Regathering
8:00 a.m. Second day programming begins
3:30 p.m. Workshop ends
- Welcome and Setting the Stage
- What Does a Department Chair Do?
- Department Chair Leadership in an Institutional Governance Structure
- Critical Role of Chairs in Advancing the Academic Quality and Mission of the Institution
- Role of Chairs in Advancing an Institution's Student Success and Degree Attainment
- Business Strategies That Can Help Chairs Lead and Departments Gain Perspective
- Innovation for the Future
- Wrap Up: Leadership Development and Next Leadership Steps for Chairs
Who Should Attend
- Department chairs
- Division heads
- Program directors
- Unit leaders