Begun in 2005, the Institute is an annual program with 3 sessions throughout the year. Each session is highly participatory, using a combination of discussions facilitated by experienced CAOs and presidents, case studies presented by program participants, conversations with peers from diverse institutions, and briefings by national experts. Our goals are to identify topics and issues of immediate concern to new academic vice presidents and provide the means to address them. Invest in your institution through this investment in leadership.
Institute for New CAOs Class of 2016-17 (Registration closed)
Session Three March 10-11, 2017 Marriott Marquis Washington, DC.
Institute for New CAOs Class of 2017-18 (Registration closes June 13, 2017)
Session One July 25-27, 2017 - National Center for Higher Education in Washington, DC
Session Two November 28-30, 2017 - Albuquerque, NM
Session Three March 9-10, 2018 - Washington, DC
If you would like to be informed when registration opens, or would like more information on the program, please email ACELeadership@acenet.edu.
The Institute Provides New CAOs with:
- Lessons and insights about the leadership challenges faced by CAOs.
- Different (and competing) perspectives from peers with different experiences.
- A low-risk setting to test ideas.
- An understanding of how common issues and challenges play out in different types of institutions.
- An extended professional network of fellow CAOs from a cross-section of institutions.
The CAO participants are joined by experienced CAOs and presidents at each of the 3 meetings to facilitate conversations and serve as resources.
What to Expect
All sessions are highly participatory and use a combination of the following:
- Mini-case studies written and presented by participating CAOs.
- Facilitated discussions with seasoned CAOs.
- Cross-sector and intra-sector conversations.
- Short briefings on key issues with national leaders.
ACE Member Institution: $5,800 | Non-ACE Member Institution: $6,600
If you are unsure whether your institution is an ACE member institution, please check the ACE Members & Associates Directory.
Registration includes breakfast, lunch, and materials. Participants are responsible for their hotel and travel expenses. Discounted hotel rates are available for attendees registered for the program.