ACE, along with five other higher education associations, submitted this letter to the Department of Veterans Affairs regarding proposed changes to the implementation of the Harry W. Colmery Veterans Educational Assistance Act (P.L. 115-48), also known as the Forever GI Bill.
The proposed change regards the implementation of Section 107, which changes the way the Monthly Housing Allowance will be determined for veterans receiving Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits.
In the letter, ACE and the co-signing associations express concern that the proposed changes would result in a time-intensive, excessively granular, and unworkable reporting system that threatens to delay the processing and payment of these important benefits and has the potential to create other unintended consequences for veterans. They urge that the department delay the implementation of the policy until these issues can be addressed.
In addition to ACE, the following associations signed the letter:
- American Association of Community Colleges
- American Association of State Colleges and Universities
- Association of American Universities
- Association of Public and Land-grant Universities
- National Association of Independent Colleges and Universities