Letter to the House of Representatives outlining ACE's opposition to the Student and Family Tax Simplification Act (H.R. 3393), which would combine the Hope Scholarship Credit, the American Opportunity Tax Credit, the Lifetime Learning Credit, and the tuition deduction into a single AOTC and make it permanent.
While the streamlining of these tax incentives is a positive development, it comes at the expense of graduate and adult students who use the tuition deduction or the LLC, as well as many low- and middle-income undergraduate students.
Along with ACE, associations signing the letter include:
- American Association of State Colleges and Universities
- Association of American Universities
- Association of Governing Boards
- Association of Jesuit Colleges and Universities
- Association of Public and Land-grant Universities
- College and University Professional Association for Human Resources
- Council for Christian Colleges & Universities
- Council of Graduate Schools
- Hispanic Association of Colleges and Universities (HACU)