In response to a request from the leaders of the House Committee on Education and the Workforce, ACE and a group of 39 leading higher education associations have submitted suggestions for rewriting the HEA, which expires at the end of 2013.
This document summarizes the groups’ initial thoughts on the issues that should play a prominent role in the reauthorization process, including:
- College access, persistence and completion;
- Better information for consumers;
- Student loan programs;
- Accreditation and appropriate oversight;
- College affordability and cost reduction;
- Innovation to benefit students;
- Federal regulatory burden; and
- Special focus programs.