Frequently Asked Questions
What types of institutions may apply for this award?
- Any individual institution that is eligible for ACE membership may apply, including all U.S. degree-granting colleges and universities that are accredited by a CHEA-recognized accrediting agency. Systems may not apply, but any number of campuses within a system may apply.
Do you have to be an ACE member to apply?
- No, only eligibility for ACE membership is required.
Do you have to be nominated to apply?
- No, institutions may apply directly without nomination.
Who may nominate an institution?
- Anybody familiar with an institution’s story of transformation may submit a nomination, including faculty, staff, alumni or friends of the institution.
Will receiving a nomination be an advantage for our institution?
- No. The judges will not receive information on nominations. The nomination process is simply an effort to assure that all worthy institutions are aware of this award.
What are the formatting requirements for the narrative?
- Page allotment: 1 cover page plus a narrative of 12 pages maximum, double spaced (headers, footers may be single spaced).
- Font: Use a standard 12-point font.
- Margins: Uniform margins at the top, bottom, left, and right of at least .75 inch.
- Page numbers: Number each page within either the header or the footer.
- Page header: Identify the applicant’s name and institution on each page following the cover page.
What information is required in the electronic application?
- Name and address of Institution
- Name and title or president/chancellor
- Contact information for Office of the President, including email address
- Website URL
- Most recent FTE enrollment
- Other statistical information relevant to your application that you wish to share
What information should be included in the narrative?
The narrative should provide a brief and compelling story, describing:
- The threats or opportunities that your institution faced.
- The steps taken to consult stakeholders, devise a plan, and marshal resources.
- The implementation of the plan, including obstacles overcome, and assessment of the effort, which may be ongoing.
- How the actions taken resolved the challenges and repositioned the institution to thrive.
Can appendices be included with the application?
- No appendices are allowed. Any supporting evidence should be provided as part of the narrative.
What if I cannot fit my narrative within the 12-page maximum?
- Because the judges will only read the first 12 pages, you will need to adhere to this guideline for your application to be reviewed in its entirety.
Does our institution’s experience meet the definition of transformation?
- Every institution’s story is unique, so ACE cannot advise you on the “quality” of your transformative experience. If you have a compelling story to tell, we invite you to submit it to our panel of retired presidents/chancellors and allow them to react.